The goal of the Yr 7 Camp was to assist in the learning of how to think and work together to become a team and how to develop the skills needed to become a truly awesome team.
Through the camp, the students learnt:
- How to communicate effectively, including how to listen and be listened to;
- How to work together to know the problem, solve the problem and beat the problem;
- How to build and earn trust and respect for themselves and from their teammates;
- How to own and play their part well; and
- The importance of being an active member in their team
They were presented with many opportunities to practice essential team building skills, such as:
- Participating in loads of fun team activities that challenged them and at times frustrated them
- Contributing to communal living tasks, for example working in cabin groups to complete cleaning duties and helping buddies get ready for the day’s activities
- Free time to socialise to build on and develop new relationships and reflect on the day’s events by completing their student journal
The overarching goals of the camp were heavily aligned with the Health and Physical Education and English Australian Curriculums:
- ACPPS072 – Practice and apply strategies to seek help for themselves and others
- ACPPS073 – Investigate and select strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing.
- ACPPS074 – Investigate the benefits of relationships and examine their impact on their own and others’ health and wellbeing.
- ACPPS075 – Analyse factors that influence emotions, and develop strategies to demonstrate empathy and sensitivity.
- ACPPS078 – Plan and implement strategies for connecting to natural and built environments to promote the health and wellbeing of their communities.
- ACPMP080 – Use feedback to improve body control and coordination when performing specialised movement skills in a variety of situations.
- ACPMP082 – Practice, apply and transfer movement concepts and strategies.
- ACPMO084 – Demonstrate and explain how the elements of effort, space, time, objects and people can enhance movement sequences.
- ACPMP086 – Practice and apply personal and social skills when undertaking a range of roles in physical activities.
- ACPMP087 – Evaluate and justify reasons for decisions and choices of action when solving movement challenges.
- ACPMP088 – Modify rules and scoring systems to allow for fair play, safety and inclusive participation.
- ACELY1804 – Use interaction skills when discussing and presenting ideas and information, selecting body language, voice qualities and other elements, (for example music and sound) to add interest and meaning.
- ACELY1808 – Use interaction skills for identified purposes, using voice and language conventions, selecting vocabulary, modulating voice and using elements such as music, images and sound for specific effects.