Good afternoon parents,
Winter is here! It just seems like just yesterday that we were all enjoying our typical extended SE QLD summer, now an icy chill is in the air. For families living down the mountain, remember to subtract 4-5 degrees from the temperature at home and pack a jumper for when your children get to the College. Tamborine Mountain also experiences more rainy days than the surrounding areas of the Scenic Rim and Gold Coast, so please pack a small umbrella in your child’s bag on potentially wet days.
Thank you for your continued support of the College. I have been interviewing new Prep students for 2018 this week, and the new families have reported to me many times that it is our current families who are spreading the word about the wonderful things that are happening up here at TMC.
Head of Primary
Parents and Friends Meeting
Please come along to these monthly meetings when you see them advertised. It is an opportunity to listen to reports from Mrs Melbourne and I regarding the goings-on at TMC, as well as providing a forum for parent feedback. We supply tea and coffee (and Tim Tams!) and the meetings are held inside the uniform shop. We run them from 2:00 pm until the end of school at 2:50 pm, so if you are able to come early before picking up your children please feel welcome to join us.
Prep – Year 12 Cross Country
Last week’s Prep – Year 12 Cross Country was a huge success, with Kyle House being awarded the overall winners on the day. Walton House actually won the points race in the Primary, but Kyle ran away with it when the points from our Secondary school were factored in. Well done, Kyle House members!
We value feedback at Tamborine Mountain College. Please use the following list as a guide to providing feedback at the College:
- Classroom suggestions and queries should be communicated directly to the teacher/s involved. Contact details for all TMC staff are located on our website.
- Feedback regarding ‘big picture’ items can come directly to me – either via my email [email protected], dropping by my office for a quick chat, or by scheduling a meeting with me if the discussion would benefit from a more formal setting. Please call the College on 07 5545 3644 to organise an appointment if this is the case.
- Any issues that require the attention of Mrs Melbourne should ideally be raised in an appointment with her, although she does have an open door to immediate concerns etc.
New Building, the Maureen Nicholls Learning Centre, Starts
The construction fencing has gone up for TMC’s next building, the Maureen Nicholls Learning Centre, due for completion towards the end of this year. Fortunately, we have seen the end of building work near our Primary classrooms, and this next construction phase will occur around the periphery of the College campus.
2017 TMC Open Day
Our annual Open Day is on Saturday, 6 May. The Open Day is a chance for our College community, and the community at large, to visit the College to find out the great things that happen here. Please come along and visit the classrooms that will be open for all. If you have friends or family who have never been to TMC, please bring them along as our guests for the morning.
Our wonderful P & F will be running a complimentary tea and coffee stall on the Open Day. Tim Guymer (President) and Shannon Jamieson (Vice-President) would love to hear from any parents who are able to contribute some baked goodies for the stall. Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated. Please [email protected] to register your interest in helping out.
Lunch Clubs for Term 2
Monday – Computer Club with Mrs Noel
Tuesday – Primary Choir (Year 1 – Year 6) with Mrs Addison
Wednesday – Colouring Club with Miss Hattenfels
Wednesday – Scarecrow Building Club with Miss Criss
Friday – Running Club with Mr Hyde
“TMC Primary’s Got Talent” – auditions start Week 3. Finals held in Week 10.
ICAS tests are a national, standardised group of tests devised by the University of New South Wales. These tests are voluntary – each test requires a minimum number of entries from the student-body to make it viable to run. All children who complete the ICAS tests are issued with a certificate after the test papers have been assessed.
I would like to hear from parents (Years 3-6) who are interested in having their child/ren sit the following tests (after each subject is the closing date for entries in brackets, followed by the sitting date, and the associated cost of the test):
- Science (2 May) – 30 May $9.90 (if min. numbers are met)
- Writing (15 May) – 12 June $19.80 (if min. numbers are met)
- English (23 June) – 1 August $9.90 (if min. numbers are met)
- Mathematics (23 June) – 15 August $9.90 (if min. numbers are met)
** Please email me on [email protected] if you are interested in having your child/ren sit the test/s. Let me know your child’s name, their year level and which test/s they will be sitting. So far we do not have enough interest to host the Science test and the closing date is early next week, so please let me know ASAP if you would like to sign up for these tests **
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in blue)
- May 1, Monday – Labour Day holiday
- May 6, Saturday – TMC Open Day 10:00 am – 12:30 pm
- May 9, 10, 11 – NAPLAN Testing – Years 3, 5, 7 and 9
- May 12, Friday – Mother’s Day Stall
- May 18, Thursday – Year 3 Witches Chase Cheese Factory Excursion
- June 12, Monday – Borobi (GC Commonwealth Games mascot) visit to Primary assembly
- June 15, Thursday – Year 3 excursion to 4Real Dairy Farm
- June 16, Friday – Under 8’s Day
- June 20, Tuesday – Primary Athletics Carnival, Jimboomba Little Athletics Centre
- June 21, Wednesday – Last Day of Term 2 for students
- June 22 & 23 – Student Free days
- July 17, July – First day Term 3, 2017
Primary Awards – Music Practice Awards
Primary Awards – 2017 Cross Country Age Champions
Primary Awards – Level 3 Certificates