Good afternoon parents and guardians,
Monday’s P-12 Awards and Graduation Ceremony was a huge success for the College and a big hit with students, staff and families. The move to the Arts Centre on the Gold Coast allowed us to have the entire College present in one venue. It was fantastic to see the children and so many parents there to congratulate the award winners and celebrate a successful year for the school. I do believe that every child in the Primary is a star and each and every one of them receives positive praise and acknowledgement on a daily basis. It is difficult to sometimes single out students for awards, so I think it timely to remind all families how much we value all of the children at our school.
Head of Primary
TMC Primary Swimming Carnival – Friday, November 3
Next Friday’s swimming carnival is fast approaching! The students have nominated themselves for events and the program is being drawn up.
Some important notes:
- Years 3 – 6 will start the carnival after roll call at school. The first event will start at approximately 9:30 am.
- Prep – Year 2 will head up around lunchtime for their ‘mini-carnival’ once Years 3 – 6 have finished.
- All competing students must be in College swimwear (available through The School Locker – http://theschoollocker.com.au/schools/t-z/tamborine-mountain-college/uniforms):
- Prep – Year 2
- Boys – TMC ‘jammers’ (swimming shorts) + TMC rashie
- Girls – TMC ‘jammers’ or girl’s swimmers + TMC rashie
- Year 3 – Year 6
- Boys – TMC ‘jammers’ + optional TMC rashie
- Girls – TMC ‘jammers’ or girl’s swimmers + optional TMC rashie
- All students will be provided with a FREE swimming cap in their house colour (supplied by TMC)
- Prep – Year 2
- 5 years old- 12.5m Kickboard
- 6, 7, 8, 9 years – 25m Kickboard
- 8 and 9 years – 25m Freestyle (for students wanting to compete for age champion)
- 10, 11 and 12 years – 50m in Freestyle, Breaststroke, Backstroke and Butterfly
- Possible 25m Kickboard for 10, 11 and 12 years subject to interest levels.
2018 Stationery Lists
The School Locker, our new uniform and stationery supplier, is taking 2018 stationery orders for our Primary school.
It is compulsory for Year 1 – 6 students to have all the items on the stationery list for the start of Term 1 each year. Prep students are provided with stationery equipment by TMC. If you already have some of the items on the list, these can easily be deleted online before processing your order. Orders received by November 24, 2017, are guaranteed to arrive before January 22, 2018, (start of Term 1) and will qualify for FREE DELIVERY.
- Children should not have Facebook accounts below 13 years of age because the content on FB pages can be ‘adult’ in nature
- Other social media platforms (i.e. Instagram, Snap Chat etc.) are used by strangers to contact children if left in a ‘public’ security setting
- There are apps available that people can use that can change an adult voice into a child’s voice, so children should not trust someone they do not know in person when speaking to a stranger over the Internet
- Never allow children to give out personal information – names, addresses, the school they attend etc.
- Photos that include school uniforms can be used by strangers to identify children when posted in social media
- Passwords should never be shared
What I found most confronting about the talk was when Scott asked for a show hands for the following two questions:
- Who has heard foul language being used on websites? Nearly 100% of the children put up their hands.
- Who has spoken to someone they do not know in the ‘real world’ while online? About 25% of our children said they had.
When asked for my advice, my number one rule for families is to have the family computer set up in the lounge/common room of your house. This way, if there ever is an issue online, your child will be in a very open space to let you know what has happened and they won’t feel isolated like they might if they are accessing websites from their bedroom.
Level 3 Awards
Arrows of Tomorrow
Level 7 Awards
Level 9 Awards
Value for Next Week – Thoughtfulness
The value is discussed on assembly each Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson the following Friday. Our values class begins at 8:30 am each Friday for a lesson based around the value of the week. Please ensure that you note this in your diaries so you child is dropped off at school BEFORE 8:30 am on Friday.
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in bold):
- November 1, Wednesday – Year 6 Open Classroom 9 am – 10 am
- November 3, Friday – Primary Swimming Carnival
- November 9, Thursday – Maureen Nicholls Learning Center Opening Ceremony 11 am
- November 10, Friday – Primary Music Concert
- November 10, Friday – Prep Gala Night
- November 13, Monday – Years 3-6 Presentation by elite athletes from QLD Academy of Sport 11:30 am
- November 15, Wednesday – Volunteers Thank You Luncheon @ Cedar Creek Winery
- November 16, Thursday – Year 4 Excursion @ Beenleigh Historical Village
- November 17, Friday – Moving Up Morning – All year levels in the school ‘move up’ to the next year level for the morning. A great chance to get to know their new teacher! New Prep students for 2018 have their first morning at TMC.
- November 20, Monday – Year 4 Open classroom 9:40 am – 11:00 am
- November 22, Wednesday – Year 6 Graduation Dinner, at Tamborine Gardens http://www.tamborinegardens.com.au/
- November 24, Friday – Last student day of Term 4
- December 8, Friday – Office Closes for 2017
- January 8, 2018, Monday – Office Reopens for 2018
- January 15, 2018, Monday – Teacher Preparation Week
- January 22, 2018, Monday – First day of Term 1, 2018
- January 23, 2018, Tuesday – Primary Meet the Teacher Night
Community Information Board
We have a community information board on the College website. If you would like to contribute to the board, please send details through to [email protected] There are already a number of items on display and they can be found by following this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/community-board/. If you would like to add to our notice board, please email [email protected] with the details.