Good afternoon parents and guardians,
Last week was our annual Book Week at the College. It was highly successful and I know that the students and staff enjoyed the literacy activities that were on every day.
I would like to thank Mrs Stevens and Mrs Pavey for organising many of the events during book week, the parents who volunteered their own time to help out, the authors who visited the College, as well as the teachers and teacher aides for their efforts to bring it all together.
On Wednesday this week, Mr Tim Guymer from our P&F, reported to me that the Father’s Day stall went very well and that all the gifts had sold out right at the end! I know that the dads out there will cherish these gifts and it was great to see how excited the children were to come and visit the stall to pick out a present or two!
Happy Father’s Day to all the TMC dads this Sunday!
Head of Primary
Two Minute Zone in the Car Park
It has been noted that some parents have again been leaving their cars in the 2-minute drop off zone before and after school. Please remember that this area is not a waiting zone. You should only pull into these car spaces if your child is standing at the seats, waiting for collection. If you arrive in the car park before your child is at the footpath, please park in one of the other available spaces.
Zebra Crossing in the Car Park
It is a dangerous practice to not use the zebra crossing in the car park. I have seen a number of Primary mums and dads lead their children straight out of the gate and then out and across the driveway. I know that it may be slightly quicker to not walk the extra few metres over to where the zebra crossing is, but it is there for everyone’s safety.
Book Week 2017 in Photos
Publishing Photos of Other Children Online
While the College does retain the privilege of publishing photos of our students in newsletters such as this, all parents need to be mindful of not publishing photos containing children from other families online in social media without checking with that child’s family first. Always remember to ask before publishing to Facebook etc. as many families do not want their child’s image in a personal online account.
For everyone’s information, the College’s policy regarding photos taken by our staff can be found in the handbook in College Life, 5.0.10 Photography.
We have had quite a number of children achieve success at the recent Beenleigh and Somerset College eisteddfods. Congratulations to all the students involved for overcoming the challenge and for your achievements!
QUOTA BEENLEIGH LOGAN EISTEDDFOD – August, 2017
PREPARED SPEECH – (9 years and under)
FINN JAMIESON 3RD
PREPARED SPEECH – (10 & 11 Years old)
LIAM HARDING 2ND
JAMIE CASTLEY 3RD
SOMERSET COLLEGE – August, 2017
GROUP DRAMA – 9 years and under
CASUARINA BROWNLEE, YULIYA STACHURSKI and EMILY HARDING 3RD
DUOLOGUES (12 & 13 Years)
JAMIE CASTLEY & OWEN CASTLEY Highly commended
DUOLOGUES (11 Years and under)
COOPER TODD & FINN JAMIESON 1ST
NATHAN TODD & COOPER TODD Highly Commended
DUOLOGUES (9 Years and under)
IVY JAMIESON & EMILY HARDING Highly Commended
ARCHIE ANTUNOVIC & THOMAS WATTERS 1ST
CIARAN JAMIESON & EMILY HARDING Highly commended
SOPHIE TODD & BROOKE TODD 2ND
HUMOROUS POETRY (7 Years old)
CASUARINA BROWNLEE 2ND
IVY JAMIESON Highly Commended
ARCHIE ANTUNOVIC 1ST
HUMOROUS POETRY (8 years old)
EMILY HARDING 1ST
CIARAN JAMIESON Highly commended
THOMAS WATTERS Highly commended
SOPHIE TODD 1ST
BROOKE TODD 3RD
HUMOROUS POETRY (10years old)
FINN JAMIESON 3RD
NATHAN TODD 3RD
HUMOROUS POETRY ( 11 years old)
COOPER TODD 1ST
More success at the Canungra Show last weekend with three of our Primary students receiving prizes – fantastic work!
Section 9- Juvenile Fine Arts (Primary School Students)
Painting- 2nd prize- Phoenix Rogers
Mixed Medium- 1st prize- Georgia Gumbleton
Painting-2nd prize Mia Bradley
MLTAQ French Speaking Competition
On Sunday 13th August, for the second year running, TMC students competed in the French division of the annual MLTAQ (Modern Language Teachers’ Association of Queensland) Speaking competition at Griffith University. The 12 representatives from our school included the following Primary students: Mia Armstrong and Molly Sturt from Year 6; Hannah Clements from Year 5; and Saffron Cavallo, Lucas Hills and Gretchen Linthwaite from Year 4.
The diligence and dedication displayed by our students in preparation for the competition is to be commended. Their outstanding results are testament to this:
YR 6: Mia Armstrong 3rd Place
YR 5: Hannah Clements 2nd Place
YR 4: Lucas Hills 1st Place, Saffron Cavallo Highly Commended
A huge Thank you to Madame Farah for coming in every Wednesday and Thursday to help prepare the students for the competition! I would also like to extend my gratitude to all parents for supporting their children in this event and for sacrificing their Sunday to bring them to the venue and return for the presentation ceremony.
Mrs Forsythe – French Teacher
*** And, of course, a huge ‘merci beaucoup’ to Mrs Forsythe for giving up her own time for our students – Mr Stevens ***
Value for Next Week – Respect
The value is discussed on assembly each Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson the following Friday. Our values class begins at 8:30 am each Friday for a lesson based around the value of the week. Please ensure that you note this in your diaries so you child is dropped off at school BEFORE 8:30 am on Friday.
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in bold):
- September 1, Friday – Gold Coast Show Holiday
- September 6, Wednesday – National HPE Day
- September 7, Thursday – Outdoor Classroom Day for Years 2 & 6 – Excursion to David Fleay Wildlife Park, Burleigh Heads http://www.fleayswildlife.com.au/
- September 8, Friday – Year 2 and Year 3 Sleepover @ TMC
- September 13, Wednesday – SRC meeting @ lunchtime in Mr Stevens’ office
- September 14, Thursday – Outdoor Classroom Day for Prep, Years 1, 3, 4 and 5 – Excursion to The Swell Festival, Currumbin Beach http://www.swellsculpture.com.au/
- September 14, Thursday – Last day of Term 3
- September 15, Friday – Student Free Day
- October 2, Monday – Queen’s Birthday Holiday
- October 3, Tuesday – First day of Term 4
- October 10, Tuesday – Weekly group dance lessons start and continue for seven weeks https://footstepsdancecompany.com.au/
- October 23, Monday – Prep – Year 12 Awards and Graduation Ceremony, The Arts Centre, Gold Coast https://theartscentregc.com.au/
- October 25, Wednesday – October 30, Monday – Life Education Van visits TMC Primary https://www.lifeeducation.org.au/?gclid=CJGFkv-Q_tUCFY6WvQodbkkCnQ
- November 10, Friday – Prep Gala Night
- November 15, Wednesday – Volunteers Thank You Luncheon (location TBA)
- November 17, Friday – Moving Up Morning – All year levels in the school ‘move up’ to the next year level for the morning. A great chance to get to know their new teacher! New Prep students for 2018 have their first morning at TMC.
- November 22, Wednesday – Year 6 Graduation Dinner, at Tamborine Gardens http://www.tamborinegardens.com.au/
- November 24, Friday – Last student day of Term 4
- December 8, Friday – Office Closes for 2017
- January 8, 2018, Monday – Office Reopens for 2018
- January 15, 2018, Monday – Teacher Preparation Week
- January 22, 2018, Monday – First day of Term 1, 2018
- January 23, 2018, Tuesday – Primary Meet the Teacher Night
Lunch Clubs for Term 3
Monday – Colouring Club – Year 3 Val Classroom
Tuesday – Choir – Assembly Hall
Wednesday – Computer Club – Year 2 Classroom
Wednesday – Art Club – Art Room
Friday – Running and Agility Club – Prep-Year 2 students
Friday – Board Game Club (maximum 25 students) – Year 6 classroom
Friday – Lego and Duplo Club – Year 3 Vic Classroom – Prep-Year 3 students
Community Information Board
We have a community information board on the College website. If you would like to contribute to the board, please send details through to [email protected] There are already a number of items on display and they can be found by following this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/community-board/. If you would like to add to our notice board, please email [email protected] with the details.