Good afternoon parents and guardians,
We have had a lovely first week back at the College. It is truly a pleasure to work in such a calm, caring environment. The children have enjoyed catching up with their friends and the new students at the College have been walmly welcomed.
Thank you to those families who were able to make it to our Meet the Teacher night on Tuesday – I think it was very successful and I enjoyed seeing our parents getting involved so early in the year. If you were unable to make the evening and you would like to meet your teacher, please do not hesitate to contact them to organise a suitable time. Just a reminder that we hold an official parent/teacher interview evening at the start of Term 2.
Head of Primary
- Please drive slowly and be aware that young children, no matter how many times we may tell them, do not always use the zebra crossing. We have also added additional staff to help during this time.
- The tennis courts are council land. I have been told that some parents have been using it as a pick up area – please refrain from doing so.
- If the car park is full, Mrs Melbourne has given permission for parents to park in the paddock area where our staff park their cars. Only use this area as an overflow from the main car park and be aware that, as it is a paddock, there are undulations in the ground which mean that you must drive slowly.
Swimming lessons for all children in our Primary will begin next week. TMC swimmers are the compulsory* uniform for these lessons http://theschoollocker.com.au/schools/t-z/tamborine-mountain-college/uniforms
- Prep – Year 2
- Boys – TMC ‘jammers’ (swimming shorts) + TMC rashie (compulsory)
- Girls – TMC ‘jammers’ or girl’s swimmers + TMC rashie (compulsory)
- Year 3 – Year 6
- Boys – TMC ‘jammers’ + optional TMC rashie
- Girls – TMC ‘jammers’ or girl’s swimmers + optional TMC rashie
*If The School Locker has run out of a particular item of the swimming uniform, please notify your teacher and have your child wear an appropriate substitute – black, navy or green preferred.
Swimming Timetable (starting in Week 2, running for 8 weeks):
Tuesday 30 January
- 9:30 – 10 am Year 4 Val
- 10 – 10:30 am Year 5 Vic
- 10:30 – 11 am Year 6 Val
- 11 am – 11:30 am Year 6 Vic
- 11:30 – 12:00 pm Year 4 Vic
- 9:30 – 10 am Year 2
- 10 – 10:30 am Year 1
- 10:30 – 11 am Prep
- 11 am – 11:30 am Year 3
- 11:30 – 12:00 pm Year 5 Val
This year’s swimming carnival is being brought forward to coincide with the end of our swimming lessons. The carnival will be held on Wednesday, March 28, which is also the last day of term.
A reminder that Primary assemblies are being held in the hall every Monday at 9:00 am. All families are welcome to attend – please sit in the back three rows.
Year 6 Sydney/Canberra Tour
Preparations are underway for this year’s trip to our nation’s capital! Mr Noel and Miss Eagleton will send home information letters on Monday. There is a section that needs to be filled in and returned to the College by the end of the week – please complete the form and send it back as soon as you can.
Our choir has continued to build over the last two years and last year’s performance at the Primary concert was brilliant. The choir is made up of Year 1-6 students at the start of the year. Mrs Addison will look at the possibility of including Prep students in Term 3.
They begin weekly practices from next Wednesday in the assembly hall. Mrs Addison looks forward to meeting all students willing to commit to the club at 12:50 pm each week. Students may bring their lunchboxes with them.
Error in Last Week’s Newsletter
Last week, I incorrectly indicated that Thursday, March 29 is the last day on term. The final day for students is Wednesday, March 28. The Thursday of Week 10 is a student-free day and Vacation Club will be running for parents needing care. My apologies for the error.
I am excited to announce that this term, Year 4-6 students will participate in weekly sports games at the Long Road Sports Complex. Our students will depart at the end of Friday lunch on buses and return to school before the end of the day. Please ask your child’s teacher for more information.
Thank you to the parents in attendance at our first P&F meeting for the year. Our P&F plays an active role in developing our College and I thank everyone for their time and efforts. We normally hold P&F meetings from 2 pm for the convenience of picking your children up at the end, but this year we are trialing some evening sessions – the first of these being March 28, 6 pm – 7:30 pm. If you would like to get involved, please email [email protected] for further information.
Our new menu in the Snackshop is proving to be a big success! Please ensure that orders for the following day are completed by 6 pm the night before. As a large amount of the menu is made up fresh, this is the only way we can give our supplier enough time to create all of the delicious meals. Save this link to your computer for easy access https://www.flexischools.com.au/
Early Arrivals/Late Pickups
Students arriving before 8:15 am must attend our before school Learning Club. Our first teacher goes on duty from 8:15 am and there is no playground supervision offered before this time. Primary students left waiting in the car park after 3:15 pm will be re-directed to the after school Learning Club. Please ensure your child is picked up before this time.
REMINDER – New Late Drop Off / Early Departure Procedure
During the construction of the new admin building, we will bring in the following procedures:
Late Arrivals – roll call ends at 9:00 am.
- Drop your child off directly to their classroom and speak to the teacher.
- Please inform the teacher of the reason for your child’s late arrival – it is a government requirement for schools to record this.
- The teacher will phone the office to update the roll.
- Automated SMS alerts are sent to parents at 9:30 am if your child has not been marked on our roll and notification has not be given.
*During construction, parents will not have to go to reception for late arrivals.
Early Departures – scheduled appointments or if your child is sick
- Your child will go with a buddy to the office or sick bay (next to the office) for collection. Sign out your child at the office computer.
- As the car park access to the office is closed for construction, please access the office or sick bay by:
- parking in the car park;
- use the zebra crossing to walk out to the footpath and follow along Beacon Road;
- walk into the campus at the ‘pergola’ area (near the end of bus bay)
TMC Learning Club @ the Hub (next to the basketball court)
- School Days – Morning 6.30 am to 8.40 am; Afternoon 2.50 pm to 6.00 pm
- Student Free Days – 6.30 am to 6.00 pm
- Morning $7.00 per session
- Afternoon $9.00 per session
- Student Free (whole day) $27.00 per day
** Child Care Benefits and/or Child Care Rebates are NOT available, but our rates have been priced at a low amount **
Values Lessons in 2018
The value for Week 2, 2018 is ‘Organisation’!!
The value is discussed on assembly every Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson immediately after the assembly is finished. In 2017, we ran our values lesson at 8:30 am on Fridays – this is no longer the case. By focusing on the value immediately after assembly, we can plan activities that encourage the children to demonstrate the value throughout the rest of the week.
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in bold):
26 January, Friday – Australia Day
30 January, Tuesday – Swimming lessons start (refer to timetable earlier in this newsletter)
5 February, Monday – Year 4 & 5 History Incursion
12 February, Monday – District Swimming Carnival
28 February, Wednesday – P&F Meeting 2 pm – 3 pm
28 March, Wednesday – P&F Meeting 6 pm – 7:30 pm
13 March, Tuesday – Year 3 Dreamtime Incursion
28 March, Wednesday – Last Day of Term 1 & Primary Swimming Carnival
29 March, Thursday – Student Free Day
30 March, Friday – Good Friday