Good afternoon parents,
It has been a busy start to the term and it was wonderful to see all of the Primary students back at the College last Monday morning.
The first thing that the students noticed was the new concrete that has replaced the pebbles around the PLC. The new surface has completely transformed the children’s eating space and it is now far more student-friendly.
New stairs linking the basketball court and the Primary playground area have been created, as well as some smoothing earthworks and new turf around the playground itself. Once the new turf has taken root, we will again open this space up for the children to play.
The main oval area is now open for use and the students have been loving the extra space available for them at break time.
Please see me if you have any questions or comments – my door is always open.
Head of Primary
Snackshop and Subway
In response to feedback at our most recent P&F meeting, Mrs Melbourne and I have organised the following in our Primary school:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday – Snackshop lunches. This will operate exactly as it previously did when the Snackshop was only open on Fridays for our Primary. Please have your child’s lunch order in the night before.
- Tuesday and Thursday – Subway lunches. Students will be able to order a Subway sandwich for lunch in the Primary. These sandwiches will be made up fresh at Subway and delivered to the College.
As we are trialing this new system this term, I will be looking at the uptake from College families to decide it these extended food options are maintainable in the future. Please visit the TMC website at this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/product-category/tuckshop/ to create your order.
College Photo Day – Tuesday, August 1
Please ensure your child is ready for the College photo Day next Tuesday. Teachers have sent home photo order envelopes for your child to use on the day. See your teacher if you have any questions at all regarding our uniform policy, or read it via this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/collegeuniforms/.
Student Star – Fynn Lesslie – Champion Snowboarder
On Sunday July 9, Fynn Lesslie (Year 2), raced in the annual Scot’s Boys College snowboarding race as a Tamborine Mountain College representative. This race was made up predominantly of children from NSW that attend schools with snow sports excellence programs. The race was open to a wide range of competitors and the level of competition was incredibly high.
Fynn was one of the only children from Queensland in the entire competition and was the only competitor from Queensland, across all divisions, to take out a gold medal!
Fynn also competed in two other events – the Snowboard Giant Slalom and Boarder X – placing first for Queensland in both and qualifying for the national titles to be held later this term!
Fynn’s success can only be attributed to all of his hard work and training. He trained for 8 hours a day in -11 degree temperatures and his drive and determination are amazing for a child who is only 7 years old.
Prep – Year 2 Moana Dance Performance – 2:15 pm, Monday, August 7
All College families and guests are invited to attend the Prep – Year 2 dance performance of Moana. The students and teachers have worked very hard on creating an event to remember, so please bring along family and friends to share in their final production. The Moana dance will also be performed later this year at our Prep – Year 12 awards morning, held at the Gold Coast Arts Centre on October 23.
Year 4 and 5 Camp – Monday, 7 August – Wednesday, 9 August
Year 4 and 5 students will enjoy a three-day, two-night camp at the Gold Coast Recreation Centre, Tallebudgera, from Monday, August 7, until Wednesday, August 9. Please see your child’s teacher for further details.
Book Week – Monday, 21 August – Friday, 25 August
Every year, our annual Book Week gets bigger and better! In 2017, there are four main events for our children to get involved in, as well as classroom activities organised by the teachers:
- Book Swap – Each child is asked to bring in one or more books that they would like to pass on to someone else in a book swap. The donated books should be good to excellent quality, and, ideally, age-appropriate in content to their own level. We will compile all donated books during Book Week and host a morning when each class comes along to choose one or two books to take home. It will be a great chance for all of our students to find some new books that interest them, while also experiencing the act of giving!
- Book Fair – A large display of new books for purchase will be displayed in the Learning Enhancement Resource Centre (LERC) behind the PLC. Each class will have an opportunity to visit the book fair to create their own wish list. As parents, you can then use this wish list to purchase new books for your children. The College will raises funds from each purchase made.
- Character Dress Up Day – A fun dress up day where the theme is ‘My Favourite Book Character!’ Students (and parents!) are invited to come to school dressed as their favourite book character. There will be a small prize for the best-dressed, so get planning your ultimate character outfit!
- Author Visit – The Book Week concludes with an author visit. Angela Sunde (https://www.angelasunde.com/) will take workshops throughout the day, explaining her writing process, while inspiring our next generation of wordsmiths.
2017 Athletics Age Champions
Congratulations to all Primary students who competed in the Athletics Day at the end of last term. In 2017, our age champions are:
2017 Athletics Winning House – KYLE!!
The carnival was a tight contest, with Kyle house ahead on points at the end of the day. Well done to all our athletes!
Value for the Week – Courage
The value is discussed on assembly each Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson the following Friday. As noted in newsletters last term, our class now begins at 8:30 am each Friday for a lesson based around the value of the week. Please ensure that you note this in your diaries so you child is dropped off at school BEFORE 8:30 am.
Lunch Clubs for Term 3
Monday – Colouring Club – Year 3 Val Classroom
Tuesday – Choir – Assembly Hall
Wednesday – Computer Club – Year 2 Classroom
Wednesday – Art Club – Art Room
Friday – Running and Agility Club – Prep-Year 2 students
Friday – Board Game Club (maximum 25 students) –
Friday – Lego and Duplo Club – Year 3 Vic Classroom – Prep-Year3 students
Community Information Board
We have a community information board on the College website. If you would like to contribute to the board, please send details through to [email protected] There are already a number of items on display and they can be found by following this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/community-board/.
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in blue)
- July 26, Wednesday – SRC meeting @ lunch in Mr Stevens’ office
- July 31, Monday – ICAS English Test
- August 1, Tuesday – College Photo Day
- August 2, Wednesday – P&F Meeting @ 2:00 pm in the Uniform Shop. All welcome
- August 7, Monday – Prep-Year 2 Moana Dance @ 2:15 pm in the Assembly Hall. All welcome
- August 7 & 8, Monday and Tuesday – District Track and Field @ Somerset College
- August 7 – 9, Monday to Wednesday – Year 4 and Year 5 Camp @ the Gold Coast Recreation Centre
- August 14, Monday – Scenic Rim Show Holiday
- August 15, Tuesday – Student Free Day
- August 16, Wednesday – EKKA Show Holiday (from 2018, TMC will only take the Scenic Rim Show Holiday and no student free day)
- August 17, Thursday – Prep Open Morning 9:30 am – 11 am
- August 18, Friday – Prep Science Centre Excursion
- August 21 – August 25 – Book Week
- Book Swap (day and time TBC)
- Book Fair – viewing Tuesday and Wednesday, purchases on Thursday
- ‘My Favourite Book Character’ Dress Up Day – Thursday
- Author Visit – Friday
- August 23, Wednesday – SRC meeting @ lunch in Mr Stevens’ office
- August 29, Tuesday – Year 3 Science Centre Excursion
- September 1, Friday – Gold Coast Show Holiday
- September 8, Friday – Year 2 and Year 3 Sleepover @ TMC
- September 13, Wednesday – SRC meeting @ lunch in Mr Stevens’ office
- September 14, Thursday – Last day of Term 3
- September 15, Friday – Student Free Day
- October 2, Monday – Queen’s Birthday Holiday
- October 3, Tuesday – First day of Term 4