Good afternoon parents and guardians,
I hope you have all had a fantastic break and that your children (and you!) are looking forward to the new academic year starting next Monday.
I have put together some important information to start the year off. Please read through the entire newsletter for any points that pertain to your family.
The teachers, staff and I all look forward to welcoming the students back on Monday.
Head of Primary
- Primary bus students will now enter and leave the campus across the zebra crossing in the car park. Staff will be allocated duties at the crossings.
- The bridge connecting the Primary campus to the assembly hall area is fenced off. Access to the hall will be via the new stairs next to the basketball court.
- Prep – Year 2 students will use the ‘Lower Quad’ area for ball games. The ‘Front Quad’ next to the car park is fenced off.
- I will be at the Primary gates to welcome all students back to the College. Children will then move to the following rooms to meet their teacher:
- Prep – Mr Fern in Platypus 1 (closest to entrance)
- Year 1 – Miss Hiron in Platypus 2
- Year 2 – Miss Byron in Kookaburra 1 (first classroom in second Primary building)
- Year 3 – Mrs Newman (nee Miss Lynch) in Kookaburra 2
- Year 4 Vic – Mrs Noel in PLC 2 (third building along)
- Year 4 Val – Miss Hattenfels in PLC 3
- Year 5 Vic – Mrs Lesslie in Maureen Nicholls (MN) 2 (new building opened last year next to the main oval)
- Year 5 Val – Mr Whitby in MN 1
- Year 6 Vic – Mr Noel upstairs MN 4 (students to use far staircase at MN)
- Year 6 Val – Miss Eagleton upstairs MN 3 (students to use far staircase at MN)
- The parents of our wonderful P&F are planning a ‘Tea and Tissues’ morning tea on the deck at 9 am. All parents, returning and new, are welcome to enjoy a light morning tea on deck next to the playground. It will be a great chance to meet some new parents and catch up with old friends.
- Uniforms – all classes besides Year 5 Val are in formal uniform on Monday. Students in Mr Whitby’s Year 5 Val class will wear sports uniform on their first day.
Swimming lessons for all children in our Primary will begin in Week 2 of Term 1. TMC swimmers are the compulsory uniform for these lessons http://theschoollocker.com.au/schools/t-z/tamborine-mountain-college/uniforms
- Prep – Year 2
- Boys – TMC ‘jammers’ (swimming shorts) + TMC rashie (compulsory)
- Girls – TMC ‘jammers’ or girl’s swimmers + TMC rashie (compulsory)
- Year 3 – Year 6
- Boys – TMC ‘jammers’ + optional TMC rashie
- Girls – TMC ‘jammers’ or girl’s swimmers + optional TMC rashie
Swimming Timetable (starting in Week 2, running for 8 weeks):
Tuesday 30 January
- 9:30 – 10 am Year 4 Val
- 10 – 10:30 am Year 5 Vic
- 10:30 – 11 am Year 6 Val
- 11 am – 11:30 am Year 6 Vic
- 11:30 – 12:00 pm Year 4 Vic
- 9:30 – 10 am Year 2
- 10 – 10:30 am Year 1
- 10:30 – 11 am Prep
- 11 am – 11:30 am Year 3
- 11:30 – 12:00 pm Year 5 Val
New Late Drop Off / Early Departure Procedure
During the construction of the new admin building, we will bring in the following procedures:
Late Arrivals – roll call ends at 9:00 am.
- Drop your child off directly to their classroom and speak to the teacher.
- Please inform the teacher of the reason for your child’s late arrival – it is a government requirement for schools to record this.
- The teacher will phone the office to update the roll.
- Automated SMS alerts are sent to parents at 9:30 am if your child has not been marked on our roll and notification has not be given.
- During construction, parents will not have to go to reception for late arrivals.
Early Departures – scheduled appointments or if your child is sick
- Your child will go with a buddy to the office or sick bay (next to the office) for collection. Sign out your child at the office computer.
- As the car park access to the office is closed for construction, please access the office or sick bay by:
- parking in the car park;
- use the zebra crossing to walk out to the footpath and follow along Beacon Road;
- walk into the campus at the ‘pergola’ area (near the end of bus bay)
Parent Information Night – Tuesday, January 23
Our annual Parent Information Night will be held next Tuesday night. The evening will consist of two sessions per class in your child’s classroom. Each teacher will run a 20 minute session starting at 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm. This will allow parents with children in different classes 10 minutes changeover time.
The sessions give our teachers an opportunity to meet with their new parent group to go over their expectations for the year. They are not parent-teacher meetings, so please organise a meeting with your child’s teacher at another time if you wish to discuss matters specific to your child.
If you happen to arrive late to the 5:30 pm session, I would request that you wait for the second session to start at 6:00 pm as it is difficult for the teacher to go over missed information when parents come in after the teacher has started. Please aim to arrive early so you do not miss the start of the meeting.
TMC Learning Club @ the Hub (next to the basketball court)
- School Days – Morning 6.30 am to 8.40 am; Afternoon 2.50 pm to 6.00 pm
- Student Free Days – 6.30 am to 6.00 pm
- Morning $7.00 per session
- Afternoon $9.00 per session
- Student Free (whole day) $27.00 per day
** Child Care Benefits and/or Child Care Rebates are NOT available, but our rates have been priced at a low amount **
Values Lessons in 2018
The value for Week 1, 2018 is ‘Goal Setting’!!
The value is discussed on assembly every Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson immediately after the assembly is finished. In 2017, we ran our values lesson at 8:30 am on Fridays – this is no longer the case. By focusing on the value immediately after assembly, we can plan activities that encourage the children to demonstrate the value throughout the rest of the week.
New Part-time French Teacher Aide
I am pleased to announce that we have employed TMC parent, Mrs Valerie Farah, as a specialist French teacher aide. Mrs Farah is a native French speaker and she will bring a wealth of expertise and knowledge into the classroom to supplement our specialist teachers.
New Prep Playground – Delayed Until 2019
Unfortunately, after tireless efforts by our business manager, TMC was unable to secure a construction company that was able to build our new Prep playground over the 2017 Christmas holidays. We have now locked in a company for the build over the 2018 Christmas holidays. Due to the construction time frame, the summer holiday period represents to only time when the build can happen.
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in bold):
19 January, Friday – Prep Orientation and Years 1-6 Stationery Drop Off
22 January, Monday – First day of Term 1, 2018. Including ‘Tea and tissues’ morning tea on the deck
23 January, Tuesday – Primary Meet the Teacher Night (Session 1 – 5:30 pm, Session 2 – 6:00 pm)
26 January, Friday – Australia Day
30 January, Tuesday – Swimming lessons start (refer to timetable earlier in this newsletter)
12 February, Monday – District Swimming Carnival
28 March, Wednesday – Last Day of Term 1
29 March, Thursday – Student Free Day
30 March, Friday – Good Friday