Good afternoon parents and guardians,
Term 4 has started off at a cracking pace and everyone has settled in for the ‘big push’ to the end of the school year. This time of year is always extremely busy, so today’s newsletter aims to give as much information as possible regarding the happenings for next eight weeks and beyond. Please read the entire newsletter and remember to mark your diaries and calendars at home with important events.
Head of Primary
Aleesha Payne – Year 6 Student Star
At the end of last term, Aleesha Payne from Year 6 took part in a local equestrian event. Aleesha and her horse, Dixie, took home three ribbons in jumping events – a first, second and third! Aleesha proudly competes as a Tamborine Mountain College student and we are extremely proud of her.
Book Club magazines are coming home today with your child. All orders for Book Club are completed online and the final date for purchases is October 23. Your child’s books will arrive at TMC later this term for distribution.
Primary Dance Lessons
All students in the Primary will get fit while learning some new dance moves in our dance lessons that start next Tuesday. The group sessions start at 9 am each Tuesday and continue until the end of term.
Pupil Free Day – Monday, 16 October
Monday in Week 3 is a designated pupil free day for schools in Queensland. This day is used to professionally develop our teachers and provide time for moderation of assessments. If you require care for your child due to work commitments, please contact Camp Australia and enroll your child as soon as possible.
Wind in the Willows – Queensland Music Festival
Our primary students will enjoy a theatrical performance of Wind in the Willows on Friday, October 20. La Boite Theatre Company is offering a new version of the timeless classic that stars one actor performing all the roles!
Kenneth Grahame’s rollicking tale of four woodland friends is one of the true enduring classics of children’s literature, and legendary Queensland theatre-makers La Boite Theatre Company have given it a fresh coat of paint.
Join Ratty, Mole, Badger and the incorrigible Mr. Toad on their journeys, trials and misadventures around the river, the Wild Woods and beyond. Featuring a magical set with plenty of surprises throughout, and playful costuming and props, The Wind in the Willows will take creatures (small and large) on a heartfelt and humorous adventure that explores humanity, time and the value of friendship.
This touring version is a one-man show, so in addition to a beautiful story there will be plenty of performance techniques for students to appreciate: the use of voice and physicality to portray the different characters, and the play between representation and imagination in the set and props.
Secondary Drama Excellence Performance – Friday and Saturday, 20-21 October
Tickets are available for all TMC families to the annual Secondary Drama Excellence Performance. This year, our Year 12 students are presenting The Cagebirds at the Vonda Youngman Community Centre. Tickets are available on our website via https://tmc.qld.edu.au/product/the-cage-birds/ and prices are very reasonable. Please note that the performance is rated PG as the concepts that it deals with are more suitable for older children (Year 4 and above is suggested).
Awards and Graduation Ceremony – Monday, October 23 at the Gold Coast Arts Centre
Tickets are available for all families to attend our Awards and Graduation Ceremony via https://secure.theartscentregc.com.au/WEBPAGES/EntaWebShow/ShowListVenues.aspx. Click the drop box on this page and select our event from the list. A reminder that RSVPs are needed by the venue to meet their legal requirements.
Students are permitted to travel to and from the event with their parents – please inform your child’s teacher via email ASAP if your child/ren do not require bus transport to and from the event. Buses that normally bring children up the mountain from the Oxenford side will take the students directly to the centre to avoid an unnecessary trip up and down the mountain.
Doors will open at approximately 9:30 am for a 9:50 am ceremony start. If you are arriving by car, please ensure that you leave enough time for traffic and parking.
For students travelling from the College, buses will leave at 8:45 am SHARP, and then leave the centre at 1:30 pm to return to the College.
Students are permitted to go home with their families at the conclusion of the ceremony – please see your child’s teacher to have their name crossed off our rolls before departing.
Life Education Classes
The Life Education van with Harold the Giraffe will visit the College from Wednesday, October 25, until Monday, October 30. All Primary classes will be involved in lessons and activities that promote healthy lifestyles and choices.
Our Primary swimming carnival is being held on Friday, November 3, at the Tamborine Mountain Pool, Beacon Road. Final preparations for the programming for the carnival are currently underway, but the basic outline is as follows:
- Year 3 – Year 6 students will walk up to the pool in the morning after roll call.
- The first race will commence at approximately 9:30 am.
- The final race will conclude around lunch time with all Year 3 – Year 6 students walking back to the College to eat lunch and play.
- Prep – Year 2 students will then walk up to the pool for their ‘mini carnival’.
- The younger students will compete in some kickboard races to determine ribbons, age champions and house points.
- The final race for Prep – Year 2 will finish at approximately 2:00 pm.
Parents are welcome to attend the carnival to cheer the children along. Please note that parents only have the small, grassed area near the front entrance to watch from, so in the interests of space, please only bring what you need (i.e. no shade tents etc). The pool canteen will be operational for snacks only – no ‘lunch’ food available – and each student may bring a maximum of $5.
Kit List – Compulsory Items
- TMC swimmers (the School Locker website/store will have these available soon) – swimming lessons are being organised for Term 1, 2018, so your child will be able to wear their swimmers early next year as well.
- TMC house swimming cap (coloured) – these are supplied by TMC for each child. Please send your child’s teacher an email indicating if they need a cap (free) by the Friday before the carnival, October 27. Your teacher will organise the caps for their class.
- TMC sports bag – towel, sunscreen, drink bottle, morning tea (lunch to be left at school in College bag).
Primary Music Concert – Friday, November 10
Our Year 4 band, as well as selected members from other year levels, will perform at our inaugural Primary Music Concert. I look forward to hearing the performances!
Prep Gala Night – Friday, November 10
Our annual Prep Gala Night is always a fantastic evening. It is a wonderful time to reflect on the successes of our youngest TMC students by celebrating their achievements from the year.
Volunteers Lunch – Wednesday, November 15
Our wonderful parent volunteers are invited along to our Volunteers Lunch. More information to come!
Moving Up Morning – Friday, November 17
From 9am – 11am, all students in the Primary ‘move up’ for the morning to their teacher for next year. Vic and Val classes join together with both of their teachers as class lists are not finalised by this date for the following year. Our new students for 2018 are also invited along, so please welcome any unfamiliar faces to our community!
Year 6 Graduation Dinner – Wednesday, November 22
Year 6 students are invited to bring two guests to their graduation dinner and dance at the Tamborine Wedding Gardens. The evening starts with photo opportunities in the gardens before moving inside for a delicious dinner, awards and the traditional dance. The Year 6 Graduation Dinner is always a magical event and I look forward to seeing everyone there.
Last Day of Term 4 – Friday, November 24
FINA Diving Grand Prix – An Invitation for TMC to Attend a GCCC 2018 Warm-Up Event!
Gold Coast, Australia
9 – 12 November 2017
Diving Australia is pleased to invite your school to attend the FINA Diving Grand Prix Event to be held on the Gold Coast, Australia. The event will be held from 9 – 12 November 2017 at the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre – the Host venue for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Athletes from 8 Countries will be contesting it out on the diving boards. Great Britain, Malaysia, USA, Canada, Germany, Singapore and Australia will all have athletes attending the event.
Please come along and see the flips and spins from some of the top level divers around the world. The FINA Diving Grand Prix is a free event; however standard spectator charges will apply to enter the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre.
The competition starts at 10am each day from Thursday 9th – Sunday 12th November.
If you would like to attend, or for more information please contact Barbi Donnet [email protected]
We would love to see you there!
DA Organising Committee
FINA Diving Grand Prix Gold Coast
Phone: +61 7 38231444
Value for Next Week – Helpfulness
The value is discussed on assembly each Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson the following Friday. Our values class begins at 8:30 am each Friday for a lesson based around the value of the week. Please ensure that you note this in your diaries so you child is dropped off at school BEFORE 8:30 am on Friday.
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in bold):
- October 10, Tuesday – Weekly group dance lessons start and continue for seven weeks https://footstepsdancecompany.com.au/
- October 16, Monday – Pupil Free Day
- October 20, Friday – Wind in the Willows performance
- October 23, Monday – Prep – Year 12 Awards and Graduation Ceremony, The Arts Centre, Gold Coast https://theartscentregc.com.au/
- October 25, Wednesday – October 30, Monday – Life Education Van visits TMC Primary https://www.lifeeducation.org.au/?gclid=CJGFkv-Q_tUCFY6WvQodbkkCnQ
- November 3, Friday – Primary Swimming Carnival
- November 10, Friday – Primary Music Concert
- November 10, Friday – Prep Gala Night
- November 15, Wednesday – Volunteers Thank You Luncheon (location TBA)
- November 17, Friday – Moving Up Morning – All year levels in the school ‘move up’ to the next year level for the morning. A great chance to get to know their new teacher! New Prep students for 2018 have their first morning at TMC.
- November 22, Wednesday – Year 6 Graduation Dinner, at Tamborine Gardens http://www.tamborinegardens.com.au/
- November 24, Friday – Last student day of Term 4
- December 8, Friday – Office Closes for 2017
- January 8, 2018, Monday – Office Reopens for 2018
- January 15, 2018, Monday – Teacher Preparation Week
- January 22, 2018, Monday – First day of Term 1, 2018
- January 23, 2018, Tuesday – Primary Meet the Teacher Night
Community Information Board
We have a community information board on the College website. If you would like to contribute to the board, please send details through to [email protected] There are already a number of items on display and they can be found by following this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/community-board/. If you would like to add to our notice board, please email [email protected] with the details.