Good afternoon parents,
I wish all the mothers (and grandmothers) in our Primary school a wonderful Mother’s Day this Sunday. It was fantastic to see all the children who had purchased presents for their mums heading home to hide their gifts – no looking under beds for the next day, mums! I have asked all the children to give their mums a big sleep-in on Sunday morning. Let’s hope they hold off waking you until at least 7 am!
Enjoy your family time this weekend.
Head of Primary
Policy Update – Before and After School Drop Off / Pick Up Procedure
The first teacher goes on duty in the Primary school at 8:15 am. Children dropped off before this time MUST attend Before School Care. Details of enrollment are on the Camp Australia website. If a parent drops off their child before 8:15 am and they are left unattended, TMC staff will direct that student to Before School Care. Camp Australia will bill the family at a casual rate of approximately $26 per session (students who are booked in have a lower fee than this).
The last teacher finishes duty in the car park at 3:15 pm. If a child is left waiting in the car park at this time, the car park duty teacher will escort them to After School Care and their family will be charged at the casual rate.
This policy will be followed in the Primary school in the interests of the safety of our students.
Snack Shop Orders – BEFORE 9 am on Friday
Please ensure Primary Snack Shop orders are placed BEFORE 9 am each Friday. Orders placed after this time cannot be guaranteed to be ready. Our Snackshop volunteers must have orders placed between 3 pm on Thursday and 9 am on Friday to allow them enough time to get the food ready.
Animal Welfare League Free Dress Day – 23 May
Our Student Representative Council (SRC) has led the initiative in developing a free dress day to raise supplies for Animal Welfare League Queensland (AWLQ).
On May 23 all students are invited to wear free dress for the day, with an animal theme if possible (i.e. a picture of an animal on their shirt, or full animal costume if you have one!). Students without animal picture shirt or costume may still wear free dress of their choice for the day.
Primary students are to donate at least one can or bag of dog/cat food to participate. AWLQ relies on community donations of money and food from the community. The Year 6 captains and selected SRC members will travel to the AWLQ to personally make the donation after the event is finished and a story will be written for the Primary News.
Please give your donation to your classroom teacher from Monday, May 8 to have your name checked off the list of participants.
Please note – AWLQ is unable to accept opened tins and bags of food, so please donate new items only.
Two-Minute Loading Zone in the Car Park
The loading zone was flowing much better this week. Thank you all for using these spaces for quick loading and unloading only.
NAPLAN Tests Year 3 and Year 5
Congratulations to all the students and teachers in Years 3, 5, 7 and 9 for their hard work and dedication preparing and sitting this week’s NAPLAN tests. NAPLAN provides a ‘window snapshot’ of a child during their learning journey. I wish all students personal success in their achievements and their teachers will use their results to guide lessons later this year.
Value for Next Week – Loyalty
The Value of the Week will be noted here for the following week. The value is discussed on assembly each Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson the following Friday. From Term 3, the first bell will ring at 8:30 am for this value lesson to be held each Friday. Please ensure that you note this in your diaries so you child is dropped off at school BEFORE 8:30 am.
Lunch Clubs for Term 2
Monday – Computer Club with Mrs Noel
Tuesday – Primary Choir (Year 1 – Year 6) with Mrs Addison
Wednesday – Colouring Club with Miss Hattenfels
Wednesday – Scarecrow Building Club with Miss Criss
Friday – Running Club with Mr Hyde
“TMC Primary’s Got Talent” – auditions start Week 3. Finals held in Week 10.
ICAS tests are a national, standardised group of tests devised by the University of New South Wales. These tests are voluntary – each test requires a minimum number of entries from the student-body to make it viable to run. All children who complete the ICAS tests are issued with a certificate after the test papers have been assessed.
I would like to hear from parents (Years 3-6) who are interested in having their child/ren sit the following tests (after each subject is the closing date for entries in brackets, followed by the sitting date, and the associated cost of the test):
- Writing (15 May) – 12 June $19.80 (only one more student entry is needed to meet minimum requirements – please let me know by Monday)
- English (23 June) – 1 August $9.90 (this test is taking place as minimum numbers have already been met. It is not too late for your child to have their name written down for this test)
- Mathematics (23 June) – 15 August $9.90 (this test is taking place as minimum numbers have already been met. It is not too late for your child to have their name written down for this test)
** Please email me on [email protected] if you are interested in having your child/ren sit the test/s. Let me know your child’s name, their year level and which test/s they will be sitting. **
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in blue)
- May 17, Wednesday – District Cross Country
- May 18, Thursday – Year 3 Witches Chase Cheese Factory Excursion
- May 23, Tuesday – Animal Welfare League QLD Free Dress Day (dog/cat food donation)
- May 24, Wednesday – SRC meeting
- May 24, Wednesday – Year 5 Planetarium Excursion
- May 24, Wednesday – P&F Meeting in the Uniform Shop 2:00 pm – 2:50 pm
- June 12, Monday – Borobi (GC Commonwealth Games mascot) visit to Primary assembly
- June 14, Wednesday – SRC meeting
- June 15, Thursday – Year 3 excursion to 4Real Dairy Farm
- June 16, Friday – Under 8’s Day
- June 20, Tuesday – Primary Athletics Carnival, Jimboomba Little Athletics Centre
- June 21, Wednesday – TMC Primary’s Got Talent FINAL @ the Stage Area
- June 21, Wednesday – End of Semester Disco!
- June 21, Wednesday – Last Day of Term 2 for students
- June 22 & 23 – Student Free days
- July 17, July – First day Term 3, 2017