Good afternoon parents and guardians,
I often end my notices in newsletters and emails with something along the lines of: ‘…if you have any questions, please let me know‘. I mention this because I would like all families to know that I include this in my messages because I genuinely want to maintain a clear line of communication with the families in the Primary. A large part of my role is to clarify our policies and procedures with parents, to answer your questions, as well as listen to your concerns. I always advocate for people to speak directly with each other if there is an issue – only then can it be resolved.
As our Primary school continues to grow, I would also like to encourage feedback from our families. This feedback can take the form of a quick email to myself, or a discussion, either on the phone or face-to-face. It is always helpful to hear what our parents are thinking so we can improve our school.
If you would like to get in touch, please send me an email, drop by my office for a quick chat, or call the College if you would like to schedule a longer discussion. I look forward to talking with you.
Head of Primary
How to Notify the College of Student Absences
If your child is going to be absent from school, you do not have to wait until our office opens to provide notice. There are two quick and easy ways to notify the College (in order of preference):
- Visit the page here http://tmc.qld.edu.au/student-absences/ on our College website and enter their details. Please bookmark this webpage on your computer or device now for easy access in the future.
- You can also [email protected] if you prefer. Make sure you give your child’s first and last name, their year level, the reason for their absence, as well as their expected date of return to school.
Using these methods to notify TMC will ensure that your child’s absence is logged before SMS messages are sent out to families. As a third option, if you are in a situation where the Internet is not available, you may call the College directly to provide notice. Failing to give notice can generate a great deal of unnecessary work for our administrative staff, so please log any absences as soon as you can.
Sports Shoes at Lunch
After consulting with parents, students and staff, I have decided that Primary students will now be allowed to wear their school sports shoes at lunch on days when they are in formal uniform. Hopefully, their sports shoes will have more traction when playing on grass and they will allow the children to be able to play running games more easily.
A few procedures will come into effect:
- Sports shoes are ONLY to be worn when the students are actively engaged in running games (e.g. soccer, touch football etc).
- Sports shoes are to come to school in their green sports bag that was issued to them last term. When changing into the sports shoes at lunch, the children are to put their formal shoes into their sports bag so they do not misplace them. NB – formal socks can be worn with the sports shoes on these days, so no need to change into sports socks.
- All sports bags must be neatly stored on the bag racks during play.
This policy will remain in place as long as the children keep their bag racks neat and tidy. Please ensure that your child’s sports and formal shoes are ALL clearly named.
Prep – Year 2 Moana Dance Performance – 2:15 pm, Monday, August 7
All College families and guests are invited to attend the Prep – Year 2 dance performance of Moana. The students and teachers have worked very hard on creating an event to remember, so please bring along family and friends to share in their final production. The Moana dance will also be performed later this year at our Prep – Year 12 awards morning, held at the Gold Coast Arts Centre on October 23.
Year 4 and 5 Camp – Monday, 7 August – Wednesday, 9 August
Next Monday, the Year 4 and 5 students will enjoy a three-day, two-night camp at the Gold Coast Recreation Centre, Tallebudgera, from Monday, August 7, until Wednesday, August 9. Please refer to the email sent out today which outlines the activities, kit list and emergency contact number for our College staff in attendance.
Uniforms and 2018 Primary Stationery Packs
*** Notification from the last newsletter. Repeated here for parent/guardian information. ***
At the end of this term, uniforms will no longer be available on campus. From Term 4, we are outsourcing uniform purchases to School Locker – an company that will process your orders online and deliver the items straight to you (http://theschoollocker.com.au/). School Locker also has a shop in Loganholme that you may visit if necessary. The great advantage to School Locker is that you will be able to shop for uniforms from the comfort of your own home and use the easy measuring system to purchase the correct size. It must be noted that School Locker already successfully hosts online uniform ordering systems for dozens of other well-known schools in Queensland and New South Wales and the process is easy to understand and adds a level of convenience for families. I would like to offer our thanks to all of the parents who have volunteered and assisted in the TMC uniform shop in the past.
From the end of this year, School Locker will also be host ordering our Primary stationery packs. You will be able to shop for 2018 uniforms and stationery packs in the one, convenient place.
Value for Next Week – Responsibility
The value is discussed on assembly each Monday morning and students participate in a values lesson the following Friday. Our values class begins at 8:30 am each Friday for a lesson based around the value of the week. Please ensure that you note this in your diaries so you child is dropped off at school BEFORE 8:30 am on Friday.
Level 3 Award – Week 3
Arrows of Tomorrow – Week 3
Captains’ Award – Week 3
Important Dates (changes and additions are written in bold)
- August 7, Monday – Prep-Year 2 Moana Dance @ 2:15 pm in the Assembly Hall. All welcome
- August 7 & 8, Monday and Tuesday – District Track and Field @ Somerset College
- August 7 – 9, Monday to Wednesday – Year 4 and Year 5 Camp @ the Gold Coast Recreation Centre
- August 9, Wednesday – P&F Meeting @ 2:00 pm in the Uniform Shop. All welcome
- August 14, Monday – Scenic Rim Show Holiday
- August 15, Tuesday – Student Free Day
- August 16, Wednesday – EKKA Show Holiday (from 2018, TMC will only take the Scenic Rim Show Holiday and no student free day)
- August 17, Thursday – Prep Open Morning 9:30 am – 11 am
- August 18, Friday – Prep Science Centre Excursion
- August 18, Friday – Year 2 – Science excursion to Park Lake Park.
- August 21 – August 25 – Book Week. Book Swap (Wednesday); Book Fair – viewing Tuesday and Wednesday, purchases on Thursday; ‘My Favourite Book Character’ Dress Up Day – Thursday; Author Visit – Friday.
- August 23, Wednesday – SRC meeting @ lunch in Mr Stevens’ office
- August 29, Tuesday – Year 3 Science Centre Excursion
- September 1, Friday – Gold Coast Show Holiday
- September 7, Thursday – Outdoor Classroom Day. All Primary classes will be involved in learning experiences in the great outdoors! Final details are currently being organised, so please wait for information from your child’s teacher regarding their activity/excursion.
- September 8, Friday – Year 2 and Year 3 Sleepover @ TMC
- September 13, Wednesday – SRC meeting @ lunch in Mr Stevens’ office
- September 14, Thursday – Last day of Term 3
- September 15, Friday – Student Free Day
- October 2, Monday – Queen’s Birthday Holiday
- October 3, Tuesday – First day of Term 4
Lunch Clubs for Term 3
Monday – Colouring Club – Year 3 Val Classroom
Tuesday – Choir – Assembly Hall
Wednesday – Computer Club – Year 2 Classroom
Wednesday – Art Club – Art Room
Friday – Running and Agility Club – Prep-Year 2 students
Friday – Board Game Club (maximum 25 students) – Year 6 classroom
Friday – Lego and Duplo Club – Year 3 Vic Classroom – Prep-Year 3 students
Community Information Board
We have a community information board on the College website. If you would like to contribute to the board, please send details through to [email protected] There are already a number of items on display and they can be found by following this link http://tmc.qld.edu.au/community-board/. If you would like to add to our notice board, please email [email protected] with the details.