Robert James Nicholls (16/6/1947 – 2/5/2011)
Foundation Principal & Foundation Chairman of TMC Board
Mr Nicholls started the College at the Showgrounds in 1995, with only 16 students. It relocated to the Convention Centre in 1996 and finally the College campus was officially established at its present site of 80 Beacon Road in 1997. Mr Nicholls was a Science teacher who had a vision for a small, independent, coeducational, non-denominational College, serving the community of Tamborine Mountain. His philosophy was to create a personal, caring, safe learning environment. The College uniform and logo were specially designed for the College by his supportive wife, Mrs Maureen Nicholls. Mr Nicholls retired as Principal in 2001, but continued in his role as Chairman until his passing in May 2011.
Tamborine Mountain College celebrated its first official Reunion and Heritage Event in April 2011. The Heritage DVD and Photobook were presented to Mr and Mrs Nicholls in appreciation and recognition of the College’s beginnings and their valuable contribution to our community – thus the history of the College has been recorded for posterity.
Mr Nicholls was instrumental in putting forward the College’s Masterplan, which saw the official opening of stage one, The Robert Nicholls Science Centre in 2010.
The uniform was specially designed for the College by Mrs Maureen Nicholls. The uniform originally had a tartan skirt with a white blouse for girls, and grey trousers with a white shirt for boys. A tartan tie is worn by all students as is the Akubra ‘Pastoralist’ hat.
The uniform underwent some changes in 2015 with the introduction of Primary. The most significant change being the replacement of the tartan skirt to grey, in keeping with the boys’ uniform.
‘Arrows of Tomorrow’ was written by Ric Melbourne and is sung each week at the College assembly. Click the link below to listen to the Tamborine Mountain College School Song.
20 Year Anniversary DVD